Coronavirus panic has created a chaos on social media with various hoaxes. A video of a maggot being taken out from upper lip of a man is viral on almost all social media platforms, specifically on WhatsApp. It’s a closeup of face of the man in which various medical gel is being poured upon his lips and a hole can be seen where something inside seems to be pushing out. The doctor or the person trying to remove it presses the lip tightly which makes the botfly maggot come out of the hole, which later is held and pulled by a set of tweezers.
Following text is viral with the video
“Korona virus, very new deadly form of virus, china is suffering, may come to India immediately, avoid any form of cold drinks, ice creams, koolfee, etc, any type of preserved foods, milkshake, rough ice, ice colas, milk sweets older then 48 hours, for atleast 90 days from today.”
Korona virus, very new deadly form of virus, china is suffering, may come to India immediately, avoid any form of cold drinks, ice creams, koolfee, etc, any type of preserved foods, milkshake, rough ice, ice colas, milk sweets older then 48 hours, for atleast 90 days from today.
Posted by Thala Rockey Vimal on Monday, January 27, 2020
There are various points in the viral message
- What’s coming out of the lip is not a virus but a botfly maggot/larvae. The Coronavirus like others can’t be seen by naked eye. It can be inspected only under a microscope.
- The video is 3 months old and this case is more than 5 years old. i.e. A maggot found living under human skin
- The text along with the message about packaged food and drinks is not officially given out anywhere
1. Size of the maggot (With naked eyes) Vs Coronavirus (Under electron Microscope)
Coronavirus – “Coronaviruses are a group of viruses that cause diseases in mammals, including humans, and birds. In humans, the virus causes respiratory infections which are typically mild but, in rare cases, can be lethal. In cows and pigs they may cause diarrhea, while in chickens it can cause an upper respiratory disease.” – Source – Wikipidia
2. When was the video uploaded ?
We could find the video uploaded on YouTube in Oct 2019, i.e. 3 months ago while the Cornoavirus has been discovered just recently.
A same case with the patient as a girl was reported 5 years ago i.e. 2015. Source – Mirror.co.uk
3. Precautions as per viral message vs actual official ones
While the items given in the viral messages are no where to be found in official statements by World Health Organization, you must read complete details i.e. precautions to symptoms
WHO’s standard recommendations for the general public to reduce exposure to and transmission of a range of illnesses are as follows, which include hand and respiratory hygiene, and safe food practices:
- Frequently clean hands by using alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water;
- When coughing and sneezing cover mouth and nose with flexed elbow or tissue – throw tissue away immediately and wash hands;
- Avoid close contact with anyone who has fever and cough;
- If you have fever, cough and difficulty breathing seek medical care early and share previous travel history with your health care provider;
- When visiting live markets in areas currently experiencing cases of novel coronavirus, avoid direct unprotected contact with live animals and surfaces in contact with animals;
- The consumption of raw or undercooked animal products should be avoided. Raw meat, milk or animal organs should be handled with care, to avoid cross-contamination with uncooked foods, as per good food safety practices.
- CNN News 18 and News Nation shared a graphic 4 year old video from Malaysia as recent from Pakistan. - June 30, 2020
- An old photo of a man disrespecting Indian Flag from Bihar is viral as recent from West Bengal. - June 29, 2020
- Photos from a year old murder is viral now with twisted info and false communal angle. - June 25, 2020