Read this and share so you and others won’t fall for such scam in future. Also check the end of this article to find who is running this scam.
So you received that message on your WhatsApp by now claiming PayTM is giving our Rs. 10,000 as Cash Reward ? Sorry to disappoint but it’s not, neither will you get this money, nor it’s by PayTM. The same scam happened few days back in the name of Hike Messenger too.
This scam has been debunked many times by SMHoaxSlayer in last two years, the methodology always is same, just the disguise keep changing under different names. PayTM, Amazon, Flipkart, Redmi, iPhone, JIO Data, JIO DTH, Modi LED Scheme and what not.
Basic is, such message offer you some thing, service for peanut prices or for free because of which we try it.
The reason you fall for this is “Try karne me kya jata hai, kaun sa baap ka paisa lag raha hai ?
Now let’s get in the detail how this scam works.
- First you receive a click-bait message under some brand name offering you something for free.
- You click on the link given in it and it takes you to a website. The Link itself is the identifier of the scam, it’s never is genuine, i.e the brand it’s using. (In this case it is PAYTM-REWARD-OFFER.COM but if this offer was genuine it should be PAYTM.COM.
- That website either directly congratulates you that you won, or ask you for some small game which also leads you to your win. Also these websites are never responsive i.e they are made just for mobile, not for desktop. Try opening that link on Laptop/Desktop or even on mobile browser’s “Desktop Mode” and you will immediately find it.
- It asks you to enter your name and mobile number, address etc. (in this case your PayTM wallet number)
- It says you are almost done, shows you the amount or success and asks for completion of the process.
- This is the heart of the scam – It asks you to share this in 8 or 10 WhatsApp groups. By This it reaches Lakhs of people within hours. You will share in 10 Groups, in Each of those groups more 10-20 people will try this and share in their groups and so on…
- When you do that, it says you are done and will receive the item or the amount has been sent but nothing actually happens.
- Well you actually don’t receive anything as was promised by website but you surely end up getting TeleMarketing Phone calls for Insurance, Policies, Investments etc.
- You may also end up installing AdWares or Malwares which keeps pushing ads on your screen and making your phone terribly slow.Let’s perform a surgery on this particular scam where actually the Tumor has been found i.e the person who is running this scam.
1. The Message received
2. Website opened by clicking on the link, this says your time is running out.
3. This asks for your Name and Mobile Number (Used the same of the guy who is running this scam)
4. It congratulates you, shows the amount which is so tempting and asks you to complete the Transaction
5. This is the Heart of the scam, it asks you to share in other WhatsApp groups
6. If you try to skip the ‘Share’ part, it will warn you
So above basically explains the methodology of this scam, now let’s see who is running this
I first of all checked who owns the domain and when was it registered
So the domain name was registered on 18th Nov 2017 i.e just 4 days back which means it’s new and with “dashes” and additional words it proves the domain is fake.
Further the Name this says is Nick Kumar, Pune and Mobile No. is 9890745129.
The same Mobile Number on true caller says the name is “Sachin Kadam“